About Tidewater Classical Guitar (TCG)
Tidewater Classical Guitar is a non-profit arts organization with an all-volunteer board that cultivates awareness and appreciation of classical guitar by presenting world-class concerts and advancing guitar education. Founded in Virginia in 1984, the Norfolk concert series began in March 1985 with a three-concert schedule featuring local performers.
By the time the Williamsburg series was inaugurated in 1987, it had graduated to presenting guitarists of international renown.
TCG presents concert series in both Norfolk and Williamsburg, which feature many of the world's best-known and most outstanding guitarists. Support is provided by subscriptions and individual contributions, as well as grants from the Norfolk Commission for the Arts and Humanities, the Williamsburg Arts Commission, the Virginia Commission for the Arts, and the Business Consortium for Arts Support of Hampton Roads.
The mission to advance interest in and promote the playing of the classical guitar and related instruments is accomplished in the following ways:
- Presenting concerts by leading artists in the field of classical guitar
- Providing educational opportunities such as master classes and lectures by visiting artists
- Advancing guitar education within the community
- Providing outreach concerts to the community
- Support the Tidewater Guitar Orchestra
- Commissioning new works for the guitar
The TCG is sponsored in part by:
The Business Consortium for Arts Support
The Norfolk Commission for the Arts & Humanities
The Virginia Commission for the Arts and The National Endowment for the Arts
The Williamsburg Area Arts Commission
The Williamsburg Community Foundation